V «Eurasia» IFF, Astana, 2008.
That was a double anniversary year – 5th jubilee of “Eurasia” Film Festival and 10 years anniversary of the new capital city of Kazakhstan. That is why it as decided to hold the festival in Astana. “Eurasia” Festival was held with a view to introducing Kazakhstani and Central Asian cinema on the festival world map, strengthen international collaboration and cultural exchange among Eurasia’s film makers. Film festival’s motto was “The Gates to Central Asia!”.
In 2008 the competition programs were focused on our region’s cinema: Central Asian international competition of full length feature films produced in 2007-2008 and Central Asian international short film competition for films produced in 2007-2008.
A few names among the guests to the festival – Isabelle Adjani, Jeremy Irons, Richard Dreyfus, Michael Fitzgerald, Timur Bekmambetov and others.
The out of competition program of the «Eurasia» IFF showcased the best film-picks of international film festivals – the award winning films in Cannes, Berlin, Venice, Tokyo, Busan. The two dynamically growing cinemas of the east and west were presented in the programs “Films from South Korea” and “Films from the USA”. During the film festival two soirees were held – first dedicated to the 80th anniversary of actor Nurmukhan Zhanturin and the second soiree in memory of Chingiz Aitmatov.
Throughout the 5th «Eurasia» IFF a “Special Event” program showcased the gala premier of the national “Mustafa Chokai” film, and another program was dedicated to the films of the classics of Kazakh new wave. “Tulpan” by S. Dortsevoi was shown at the Opening ceremony. The total of 70 films was shown in 7 festival programs of the «Eurasia» IFF.
Award winners of V «Eurasia» IFF:
- Best Film Grand Prix – «Farewell, Gulsary!», Kazakhstan, directed by Ardak Amirkulov;
- Best Short Film Grand Prix – «113th!», Kazakhstan, directed by Talgat Bektursinov;
- Best Director award– «Together with Father», Kazakhstan, directed by Damiyar Salamat;
- Best Director award (Short film)– «Bakhytzhamal», Kazakhstan, directed by Adilkhan Yerzhanov;
- Best Male performance – Diyas Rakhmatov for “Little People” by Hattam Faiziyev, Uzbekistan and Bakhytzhan Alpeisov for “Together with Father” by Damiyar Salamat (Kazakhstan);
- Best Female Performance – Irina Ageikina, for «The Song of the Southern Seas», directed by Marat Sarulu (Kazakhstan-France-Russia);
- Special Feature Film Jury Award– «Unknown Route» directed by Temir Birnazarov (Kyrgyzstan);
- Special Short Film Jury Award – «Bridge» directed by Tina Ibragimov (Kyrgyzstan) and «Debt», directed by Temir Birnazarov (Kyrgyzstan);
- An Outstanding Contribution to World Cinema Art development award went to Bolotbek Zhamshiev, film director, Kyrgyzstan and Michael Fitzgerald, film producer, USA;
- FIPRESSI award went to film director Damiyar Salamat fro his “Together With Father”.