III «Eurasia» IFF, Almaty, 2006
In 2006, «Eurasia» IFF becomes a competent member of International Federation of Film Producer Associations (FIAPF). Along with the International Competition with participating films from Europe and Asia, a competition of Central Asian cinema took place which allowed the festival to become a genuine interlink, a kind of a cinema center for our colleagues from Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
The III «Eurasia» IFF included retrospectives of films by famous directors, representatives of the west and the east: films by a German film classic Volker Schlondorff and Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf and his family members – daughter Samira Makhmalbaf and his wife Mazieh Meshkini.
Among the guests of the festival many could see the celebrities such as Steven Seagal, Daniel Olbrychski, Cary Tagawa, David Carradine, Kim Ki-duk and many others.
The festival program also included: “Cannes Days in Almaty”, VGIK Graduates’ Night as well as the retrospective of Kazakh film director Abdula Karsakbayev to honor his 90th birthday anniversary.
One of the major achievements of “Eurasia” is the Eurasian Projects Market, a one of a kind event in Central Asian region. This Projects Market provided the directors and producers with a unique opportunity – bring their projects, no matter what production stage was, to the attention of prospective investors, sponsors, distributors and selectors from international film festivals.
Award winners at III “Eurasia” IFF:
- Festival’s Grand Prix – «Eden», Germany / Switzerland, directed by Michael Hoffman;
- Best Director award – «Little Red Flowers», China, directed by Zhang Yuan;
- Special Jury Prize –«Kek», Kazakhstan, directed by Damir Manabai;
- Best Male performance -«Sway», Japan, directed by Miwa Nishikawa, actor Masato Ibu
- Best Female Performance – «Goodbye, Life», Iran, directed by Ensieh Shah-Hosseini, actress Ladan Mostofi
Central Asian Competition:
- Grand Prix – «The Trackman’s notes», Kazakhstan, directed by Zhanabek Zhetiruov;
- Best Director award – «The Road Under Sky», Uzbekistan, directed by Kamara Kamalova;
- Best Male performance – «Steppe Express», Kazakhstan, actor Tulegen Kuanshev;
- Best Female Performance – «Ovora», Tajikistan, actress Fatima Gulyamova.