IX IFF «Eurasia», Almaty, 2013
The 9th Eurasia International Film Festival was held in Almaty on 16 - 21 September 2013. That year, the Festival continued its international competition format with films from Europe, Asia, and CIS countries being screened. Also, the 2013 Eurasia IFF saw the second Spotlight: New Kazakh Cinema pitching of young Kazakh filmmakers' projects won by Serik Abishev (Ademoka) and Adilkhan Yerjanov (Aliyushka).
The 9th Eurasia IFF International Jury was headed by the film director Jane Campion, Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or Award winner and Academy Awards winner. The Jury members included the director Brillante Mendoza (Philippines), producer Luis Miñarro (Spain), screenwriter David Franzoni (USA), and director Emir Baigazin (Kazakhstan), who was the winner of the first Spotlight: New Kazakh Cinema pitching.
Apart from Main Competition, the Festival held 6 out-of-competition programs: Kyrgyz Cinema Days, Russian Cinema Days, Central Asian Panorama, Dynamic Kazakh Cinema, Cinema Bridge: East - West, and a special World Cinema Fund Program which hold screenings of various world festivals' winning films.
The 9th Eurasia International Film Festival Winners were:
- Grand Prix: In Bloom by Nana Ekvtimishvili and Simon Groß (Georgia, France, Germany)
- Best Director: Bauir (Little Brother) by Serik Aprymov (Kazakhstan)
- Best Actor: Carlo Cecchi (Miele, Italy) and Koh Jia Ler (Iloilo, Singapore)
- Best Actress: Jördis Triebel (My sisters, Germany) and Elahe Hezari (Don’t worry Sarah, Iran).
- FIPRESCI Jury Prize: Wadjda by Haifaa al-Mansour (Saudi Arabia)
- NETPAK Jury Award: Bauir (Little Brother) by Serik Aprymov (Kazakhstan) and Waiting for the Sea by Bakhtiyar Khudoijnazarov (Kazakhstan, Russia, France, Germany, Ukraine, Belgium)
Guests of the Festival:
- Chuck Russel (USA)
- Charles Aznavour (France)
- Vincenzo Bugno (Italy)
- Alena Babenko (Russia)
- Steve Ransohoff (USA)
- Andrei Gaidulyan (Russia)
- Boris Smolkin (Russia)
- Alena Yakovleva (Russia)
- Anna Legchilova (Russia)
- Next >>